Monday, May 2, 2011

A Life of Serenity


I hate turmoil. I don’t think anyone could enjoy for any extended period of time chaos and disorder.

I experienced this feeling often when my husband died about 16 months ago. I had so many decisions to make, so much responsibility to take on alone, and frankly folks, I experienced hurt like I never have before in my life. I also had my kids to think of. They were hurting, too, and I couldn’t make the situation better, but I knew how I handled daily life would lead the way for them to carry on.

I ran to the Savior like I have never done before. My quiet time seemed to be the only thing I could control in my life at that point, and God’s Grace and peace was evident to me.

One day, I researched the Serenity Prayer on my computer. You know the one…

God Grant me the Serenity to Accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

These are wise and comforting words….BUT they are not the entire prayer written by Reinhold Niebuhr in the 1930’s. I found the meat of this prayer in the verses that I never knew existed.


The Serenity Prayer




God grant me the serenity


to accept the things I cannot change;


courage to change the things I can;


and wisdom to know the difference.


Living one day at a time;


Enjoying one moment at a time;


Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;


Taking, as He did, this sinful world


as it is, not as I would have it;


Trusting that He will make all things right


if I surrender to His Will;


That I may be reasonably happy in this life


and supremely happy with Him


Forever in the next.


Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

In loving memory of

Fr Bertram Griffin -- 1932-2000

Requiescat in Pace

Trust in the LORD with all your heart

and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways acknowledge him,

and he will direct your paths.

Proverbs 3, 5-6

I am trusting God daily to direct my path, I rejoice in the victories and joys along the way, and revel in the attempt to be reasonably happy in this life, knowing I will for sure be supremely happy with Jesus in the next.

I think I might just call this my Recipe for Living. I hope it encourages your heart as it did mine.

I am Sue Murphy…and I am Confectionately Yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment