Friday, October 21, 2011

Cornbread in a black iron skillet

I do not know where my brain went the day I was supposed to post this recipe!!  Please forgive the delay!!  This recipe is a Southern as it gets!

Cornbread

2 c. self-rising white cornmeal mix-I use Martha White cornmeal mix or White Lily (Make sure it is a cornmeal MIX as this has the leavening in it.)
2 eggs
Buttermilk-(about 1 to 2 cups)
Vegetable oil-2-3 Tbsp.

Place eggs and cornmeal in a bowl. Add enough buttermilk to make a loose batter. Heat oil in a 10” iron skillet until hot and add batter.

Bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees for about 25-35 minutes until browned and crusty.

Run a knife around edge of skillet and loosen from pan. Remove bread to a plate and serve with lots of butter.

This is not a sweet cornbread like Jiffy (I love those, too!!), but it goes great with beans or soups.

Confectionately Yours,

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment