Monday, March 26, 2012

Corn Chowder


Hi WEEC Listeners,


Here is the recipe shared today on Circle of Friends.  :-)


CORN CHOWDER


5 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled 
1 (16-oz.) can creamed corn
1 med. onion, chopped
 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
3 c. potatoes, diced
1/2 c. fresh milk
2 c. water 
dried parsley
1 chicken bouillon cube or equivalent (I use chicken soup base)
instant potato flakes, optional


Cook bacon until crisp. Set aside and saute onions in bacon drippings until soft. Add potatoes, water, and soup base mix. 


Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 12-15 minutes until potatoes are tender. Add corn and milk; heat thoroughly. 


If you want a thicker soup, add instant potato flakes, a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. Add parsley and garnish with bacon.


Note: I cannot stress enough how much I rely on soup base to flavor soups, gravies and sauces. The concentration can be adjusted to achieve the "rich broth" I refer to in many of my recipes.


Precooked bacon works well for this recipe.  I keep it in the freezer, microwave it 30 seconds or so to re-crisp &  continue with the recipe.


Every so often, I DO buy uncooked bacon.  I lay in a single layer on a cookie sheet and BAKE it at 350 degrees until crisp. I save the drippings & refrigerate them in a jar for later use to flavor soups, green beans, & good ol' soup beans.


Confectionately Yours,


Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment