Monday, December 31, 2012

Serenity



I hate turmoil.  I don’t think anyone could enjoy for any extended period of time chaos and disorder.
I experienced this feeling often when my husband died unexpectedly at age 52.  I had so many decisions to make, so much responsibility to take on alone, and frankly, I experienced hurt like I never have before in my life.  I also had my kids to think of.  They were hurting, too, and I couldn’t make the situation better, but I knew how I handled daily life would lead the way for them to carry on.
I ran to the Savior like I have never done before.  My quiet time seemed to be the only thing I could control in my life at that point, and God’s Grace and peace was evident to me. 
One day, I researched the Serenity Prayer on my computer.  You know the one…
God Grant me the Serenity to Accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
These are wise and comforting words….BUT they are not the entire prayer written by Reinhold Niebuhr in the 1930’s.  I found the meat of this prayer in the verses that I never knew existed.
The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr
In loving memory of
Fr Bertram Griffin -- 1932-2000
Requiescat in Pace
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3, 5-6
I am trusting God daily to direct my path, I rejoice in the victories and joys along the way, and revel in the attempt to be reasonably happy in this life, knowing I will for sure be supremely happy with Jesus in the next.
I think I might just call this my Recipe for Living.  The Serenity Prayer.... I hope it encourages your heart as it did mine.

I am Sue Murphy…and I 


Confectionately  Yours

No comments:

Post a Comment