Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Bread Of Life



I love my bread machine.  It is a real timesaver for me, and a treat to bring big, soft, warm homemade rolls to my table.  It is so easy that I make this bread at least twice a week.

I tried making my own bread years ago and had little success. I needed someone more experienced than I to show me.   I gave it up for a time and pursued other more successful baking endeavors, but I just couldn’t shake the desire to conquer the art of breadmaking.

I notice an increase in sales of bread machines for Christmas.  What do you get for the Mom who has everything….a bread machine!!  I also notice these items turning up frequently at garage sales and thrift stores because they take up room, and are not utilized.

One thing I have discovered is that the bread machine works better for me as a "preparer" of dough, rather than a baker of the bread.  

The ingredients are place in the machine in a specific manner-first liquids, then dry ingredients.  

The bread machine mixes, kneads, and allows the dough to relax in a timed manner. 

Yeast breads must have a resting time because kneading the dough activates the glutens in the flour making it hard to knead. 
Gluten is a protein that gives bread dough its elastic quality.  

As the yeast, a live organism, multiplies, it releases carbon dioxide gases making the bread rise.  Bread flour has a higher gluten content making it better for breads than all purpose flour.

I have also found that using instant yeast, rather than the packets of regular yeast, yield dough that rises faster.


I love that the scriptures are referred to as the Bread of Life.  They nourish and sustain us.  My bread  recipe will nourish for a time, but God’s word will last an eternity!!  Feast on it!!

BREAD MACHINE ROLLS

(My "go-to" recipe for yeast bread)

1 egg+enough warm water to measure 1-2/3 c.
3 T. olive oil
4-1/2 c. bread flour
2-1/2 tsp. rapid rise yeast (I use Saf-Instant)
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. sugar

Place egg in measuring cup and add enough warm water to bring total amount to 
1-2/3 cup. Pour into bread machine pa
 Add rest of ingredients in order given. 

Set 
machine to dough setting. This cycle should run about 80 minutes. When cycle is 
complete, remove dough. Punch down dough to remove air bubbles. It should be 
smooth, elastic, and easy to shape.

If handled too much the gluten will activate and 
make the dough tough to manipulate. If difficult to shape, allow to rest 5 minutes for 
the gluten to relax. 

Roll dough into long tube shape and cut 24 pieces for rolls or 16
pieces for sandwich buns. Roll dough into an oval shape for deli style rolls or round 
for hamburger buns. 

Place dough on greased cookie sheet. Spray with nonstick baking 
spray and cover lightly with plastic wrap. 

Place in a warm draft free place and allow to 
"proof" or rise for 45 minutes or until doubled. Preheat oven to 350° and bake rolls 
for 8-10 minutes until very light brown. 

Brush with melted butter immediately after 
removing from oven. This will soften the surface of the rolls. Store in airtight
container when completely cool.--You may refrigerate dough after shaping and let it 
"cold rise" in the refrigerator overnight (up to 16 hours). 

Remove from fridge and 
allow rolls to come to room temp while oven preheats.-
 
preheat to 350° and continue as directed above. Remove plastic wrap before baking.

Note: Try not to be intimidated by yeast breads. I had some failures early on when I 
didn't know what the dough was supposed to look like when risen or what was 
"doubled." I didn't attempt bread again until the bread machine came along. It kneads 
evenly & the instant yeasts of today make the most of our limited kitchen time and yield great results.

Confectionately  Yours,

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment