Monday, October 14, 2013

Cornbread in a Black Iron Skillet


I was in line with a week’s groceries in my cart.  There was someone in front of me checking out their purchases.  The elderly gentleman behind me had only 2 items.  I told him to go ahead of me since I figured I couldn’t even empty my cart before his transaction would be finished.

As we waited for his turn, he announced his intent to make a big pot of pinto beans in the pressure cooker.  He mentioned his ingredients with his eyes sparkling, anticipating how good that bowl of beans would be.

I asked him if real cornbread was on the menu, and he grinned, confirming that it had to be baked in a black iron skillet.  I heartily agreed. We discussed how we both made our cornbread and shared a tip or two with each other on freezing those beans if there were lots of leftovers.

He confided he was widowed, and that his wife had died from a stroke just shortly before their 50th wedding anniversary.  He didn’t realize just how much I understood that loneliness will propel one to engage a total stranger in conversation.  

It could not have been more than a 2 minute interaction at best, but I felt as if I made a small difference in that gentleman’s life that day. Listening, empathizing, and sharing our mutual enjoyment of good old country cooking.

The Lord reminded me that small joys, such as those beans and cornbread, are to be savored and appreciated, even in the midst of loss.  That opportunity to engage with others, share our interests, our sorrows, our HOPE, can happen anywhere...even in the checkout lane of the grocery store.

Speaking of hope, this gentleman’s last comment to me was a reference to the Lord, and the promise of seeing his beloved wife again.  It made me happy to hear that.

I’ve shared my bean recipe with you on a previous

 segment.  Here is the cornbread that MUST accompany

 them.  :-)


Southern Cornbread

2 c. self-rising white cornmeal mix
2 eggs
Buttermilk 
Vegetable oil-2-3 Tbsp.
Place eggs and cornmeal in a bowl.  Add enough buttermilk to make a loose batter. Heat oil in a 10” iron skillet until hot, making sure it coats the bottom.  Remove from heat. Brush the sides of the skillet with oil to prevent sticking. Add batter.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 25-35 minutes until browned and crusty. Run a knife around edge of skillet and loosen from pan.  Remove bread to a  plate and serve with lots of butter.  

Note:  Baking in a black iron skillet is essential to get the crisp crust associated with good cornbread.

Cold cornbread can be reheated in the same skillet for 10-15 mins in the oven.  The crust will crisp up.

I also make ahead & freeze cornbread for Chicken & Dressing during the busy holiday season.  I will share this recipe in the future.

Confectionately  Yours,

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment