Friday, November 1, 2013

The Old Gray Sweatshirt


On chilly mornings, I slip into an old gray fleece jacket before making my coffee and puttering around in the kitchen.  The jacket is too big for me, but its warmth envelopes me, cozy and reassuring.

My husband wore this jacket as he did his autumn or early Spring chores around the house.  It’s a reminder to me of the man who truly loved his wife as Christ loved the church.  He was such a giver of time, talent, & treasures to his family & others.

As I open my bible, and have my quiet devotional time, I’m also reminded that God’s word is a lot like that old gray sweatshirt.  I feel God’s love envelope me through those pages.  I gain a calmness, a confidence & security that God sees me in my circumstances, that He loves me just as I am, but that He doesn’t want me to stay that way.  He has begun a work in me that hasn’t yet been completed as yet.

He gives me strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow. As the song says, “Great is thy faithfulness, Lord unto me.”

I am so grateful for the opportunity to share my household and hospitality tips with the WEEC listeners.  I’m posting a recipe today for Taco Soup. 

It takes only a few minutes to put together using ground beef, taco seasoning, dry Ranch dressing mix, pinto beans, canned or frozen corn, and canned tomatoes.  Add some crackers or bread, and you have a complete and healthy meal.  You could even use ground chicken or turkey for the beef if you wish to make this soup even lighter.

It’s as warm and comforting to me as that old gray sweatshirt, and sure to hit the spot on these chilly days ahead.  

TACO SOUP
1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
1 pkg. taco seasoning mix
chopped onions and peppers, to taste
1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
1 (16-oz.) can whole kernel corn grated cheese, for garnish
3 (16-oz.) cans pinto beans, undrained
3 (16-oz.) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
5-6 c. water
grated cheese, for garnish
In a large pot,brown ground beef with onions and peppers. Drain well. Add the rest of the ingredients, breaking up stewed tomatoes into small pieces. 
Simmer for 20-30 minutes. To serve, top with cheese if desired. Makes 2 1/2 quarts soup.

Note: I am always on the lookout for easy recipes that reheat and freeze well. This soup fits the bill and is even better the next day.



No comments:

Post a Comment