Monday, January 27, 2014

My Favorite Cheese Ball

This is today's shared recipe from my Confectionately Yours radio spot on WEEC 100.7 FM in Springfield, OH.

Sometimes I roll the cheese ball in nuts, sometimes I pack it in a country style crock. Serve with crackers and garnish with some beautiful grapes and a bunch of parsley for a pretty presentation.

MY FAVORITE CHEESE BALL

10 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
soy sauce, to taste(about 1 Tbs.)
garlic powder, to taste(start with about 1/4 tsp.)
onion powder, to taste
chopped toasted pecans, 1-2 cups

Beat cream cheese until soft and creamy. Add seasonings, then add grated cheese, a little at a time until it is incorporated. Roll into a ball and then into toasted nuts.

Refrigerate, but allow to soften before serving. Can be made 2-3 days before serving.

Toasted nuts

pecans, any amount
salt, optional

Spread onto a cookie sheet and place in preheated 350° oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly toasted. Stir often, every 3-4 minutes and watch closely as they can quickly go from toasted to burned. Remove from cookie sheet immediately after taking out of oven. Season if desired. The nuts will continue to toast if left on hot cookie sheet.

Note: I serve this recipe in shape of a pinecone at Christmastime. Make cheese ball into a tear drop shape. Use whole roasted almonds to simulate the 'petals' of a pinecone. Start at the pointed end of cheese ball and insert one end of the whole or sliced nut. Overlap one row onto the first until the cheese is covered. Use artificial pine greenery to garnish the top.

The "cheese story" that preceded this recipe from WEEC segment was as follows:

As I was making my favorite cheese ball, I was reminded of my favorite cheese story.
My son is now 20 years old, but when he was 4, he was invited to a birthday party at a kiddy restaurant that I consider is the nightmare of all nightmares for parents. There was annoying non-stop singing from puppet characters and over excited kids running in all directions. The decibel level was unbelievable!!

My son was enthralled with the guy in the giant rat costume. He chased him all over the place. The character guy finally left the play area to get away from my son and his playmates. I can still visualize the picture of that small boy with the pink cheeks and glowing eyes as he ran up to me and said, “Oh, Mommy, I just met Chucky Jesus.”

We laugh over that story every time I tell it. Now I DID talk to Andrew later and clear up his misconceptions. There WAS a difference between the guy in the rat suit and the Savior of the world, but for a few glorious moments my son thought this Jesus person he had heard about lived in an amazing place where you could play non-stop and have pizza for every meal.

It was a 4 year old's idea of heaven.

I have an idea of heaven myself and a pretty good imagination, but I don’t think I can grasp just how wonderful heaven is going to be. When I see a beautiful tree blossoming in the Spring, mountains, or an ocean view, I marvel at the ability of the Lord to create such beauty. It reminds me of Him, but then I realize….God has saved the best for last. I have heaven to look forward to.

If you know Jesus as your Savior, you do, too. Hang in there ya’ll….the best is yet to come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment