Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Covering Your Sins


I’m currently in a rearranging frenzy at my home.  This tendency seems to have a domino effect.  One project leads to another, with my mind focused on the finished goal.  I get rid of things I do not need, put things I DO need where I can find them, & simply enjoy an organized usable space when it is all said & done.

Sometimes when I am knee deep in a reorganizing project, packing up the house for what seems like the hundredth time, & simply poop out in the middle of it all, I throw a sheet or blanket over the whole mess & walk away for a time.  If I throw a BLACK sheet over the mess, it is surprising how that pile of stuff seems to fade into the background.

While this might temporarily prevent me from becoming distracted by the clutter, it is NOT a permanent solution.  Clutter must be dealt with sooner rather than later, or the house would be overtaken by black cloth covered lumpy piles of stuff every which way.

The bible tells us if we cover our sins we will not prosper.  It seems the Enemy uses our personal “stuff” against us bringing it to mind to steal our joy in serving the Lord & paralyzing our service to our Redeemer.

I have to remind myself that as a believer in Christ, I am forgiven of my sin, past, present, & future.  I must confess my daily sin of course, so that it does not hinder the work Jesus wants to do in me.  As I enjoy my quiet moments early in the morning with a cup of coffee & my Lord, & Savior, the “black cloth” I have thrown over my “stuff” is uncovered to reveal the clutter of my life.  His Word helps me sift through the mess I have made, allowing the Lord to restore order & peace in my troubled heart.


I'm sharing a recipe for Cranberry Coffeecake.  It uses up that bit of leftover cranberry sauce from a meal, & goes perfectly with that cup of coffee I mentioned earlier in this post. 

CRANBERRY SWIRL COFFEE
CAKE
1/4 c. butter                                  1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. sugar                                      1 c. sour cream
2 eggs, well beaten                      1 tsp. almond extract
2 c. all purpose flour                    8 oz. whole berry cranberry sauce
1 tsp. baking soda                        1/2 c. walnuts, chopped

Cream butter and sugar together. Add the eggs, beat well. Mix together the dry
ingredients and add alternately with sour cream. Add almond extract.

Place 1/2 of the batter on the bottom of a well greased and floured tube pan. Spoon 1/2 of the
cranberry sauce over batter, keeping it away from the inner and outer edges. Sprinkle
with 1/2 of the nuts. Spoon 1/2 of the remaining batter on top of the fruit; then spoon
the rest of the cranberry sauce and nuts on top. Finish by spooning the rest of the
batter over the fruit.

Bake in a 350° oven for 45-60 minutes. Test for doneness at the 45 minutes point by sticking a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, it's done.

Allow to sit for 10 minutes in pan, then gently shake pan to loosen cake. Remove to a
rack and cool completely. Drizzle with glaze.

Glaze
1-2 T. milk                                    1 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. butter                                  1/2 T. almond extract

Heat milk and butter briefly in microwave. Stir in powdered sugar and extracts. If too

thick to drizzle, add enough milk to reach desire consistency.


                                      Confectionately  Yours,

Sue


No comments:

Post a Comment