Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Keys to the Kingdom


Recently the Lord answered a fervent prayer with a ‘yes.’  The result was a sense of well- being that I still carry with me every time I look at my extra set of keys.  Yes, you heard it right. Keys!!!

You see, since my husband’s death, I have been carrying 2 sets of keys with me at all times.  It’s one of those quirky things widows do as a coping mechanism.  In the past, if I locked my keys in the car, I simply called my husband, and he bailed me out of trouble.  It’s not like it has happened often in my life, but knowing he was my go-to guy and protector was a secure thing for me.

My keys had been missing for 5 days.  I knew the last time I had them, but simply could not remember where I mislaid them.  I prayed, I made phone calls to places where I had been, and searched my pockets, purse and work bag numerous times to no avail.

I still had one set, so life continued on, BUT that sense of anxiety came back every time I saw my single set of keys. Prayers continued.  I talk to the Lord throughout the day.  I knew He knew where my keys were.  HE knows everything!!

Honestly, it was literally minutes after that last prayer when I walked into my workplace and saw my keys sitting on a counter.  I just felt relief flood my being that the Creator of this world cared enough for this absent-minded speck of dust, the HE would lead me to those keys.  He cares for the very minute details of our lives.

I was reminded of the verse, “I sought the Lord and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.”

I baked cookies for my co-workers that day.  Here is the recipe...


GERMAN CHOCOLATE
THUMBPRINT COOKIES


Topping
1 c. sugar 
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 c. evaporated milk 
1-1/2 c. coconut
1/2 c. margarine 
1-1/2 c. chopped pecans
1 tsp. vanilla
In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, combine milk, margarine, vanilla, and egg yolks; blend well. 
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 10 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in pecans and coconut.
Reserve 1 & 1/2 cups topping and set aside for adding to the cookie batter.


Cookies
1 pkg. German chocolate cake mix 
1-1/2 c. topping 
1/3 c. margarine
In a large bowl, combine cake mix, margarine, and the reserved topping. 
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes for easier handling. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Shape dough into 1 inch balls; place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. 
Make indentation in center of ball; fill indentation with 1/2 tsp. of topping. 
Bake @ 350° for 10 minutes or until set. Cookies will spread a bit. Cool 5 minutes; remove from cookie sheet. Yield: 4 dozen cookies.
Note: This is like a mini German chocolate cake. Feel free to use the topping as the frosting for German chocolate cake, because that is exactly what it is.


Confectionately  Yours,

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment