Monday, April 7, 2014

Breakfast Burrito


My son Andrew has taught me a few lessons over the years.   He is not interested in cooking, but he is interested in eating on a regular basis.  I have watched him throw almost any kind of meat and cheese together in a tortilla, nuke it for a minute in the microwave, and dunk this quesadilla into Ranch dressing or Hot wing sauce and make a meal of it.

If he adds some fruit and veges to the mix, it makes for a fairly well balanced meal.  It gave me an idea this week to make a breakfast burrito using what I had leftover from Sunday dinner. 

I had roasted a chicken, baked some potatoes, and made a chef salad.  There were ham chunks left over from the salad, a quarter of an onion, eggs, grated cheese, and those baked potatoes in the fridge.

  I heated an iron skillet with some vegetable oil and cut up a potato in small pieces.  I even left the skin on.  I chopped up the onion in small pieces and tossed it into the skillet with the potatoes and ham chunks.  I did add a little butter to the mix, too.  It adds great flavor.

As the potatoes browned, I beat together a couple of eggs.  I added the eggs to the skillet, turned the heat way down and allowed them to cook through.  I added some cheese, then seasoned to taste with salt and pepper.  Cheese can be very salty, so I wait to season until I’ve tasted the dish.

A flour tortilla heated briefly for 30-40 seconds in the microwave and a generous spoonful of the skillet mixture, and some salsa from the pantry made for a quick and filling breakfast.  I enjoyed it with a cup of coffee while listening to Circle of Friends on WEEC.


What a great way to start the day!! 

Confectionately  Yours,

Sue



No comments:

Post a Comment