Monday, June 24, 2013

Carrying Burdens, Laundry Baskets, & Homemade Laundry Soap


This might sound excessive, but I have 8 laundry baskets!!  Over time, I have realized the advantage of this.  On laundry day, I can separate out each load. 

When my kids were little, I had them do this.  They learn to help mommy, & it is a task even the toddler can accomplish when you tell them where each piece goes. Praise them for their progress, & you will see over time that you have trained them up to do their own laundry.

As each load is placed in the washer, the empty basket goes in front of the dryer & awaits its next job.  Those baskets have helped me organize closets holding the contents as I determine what goes where.  They help me as I decide what goes to the missions closet when it becomes evident that I have more than I really need.

They have held potluck dishes for transportation in my car preventing spills & keeping everything decently & in order.

One of the great things about my laundry baskets is that they match, fitting one inside the other, taking up minimal space when emptied.

Spiritually speaking, I find sometimes as prayer requests are shared, I’m a lot like those baskets.  I gather burdens, feeling overwhelmed for myself & others.  As I go in prayer to the One that washes whiter than snow, my load is lightened, & the stain of my personal sin is no more.  I stand clean before my Lord.


Here is a recipe for Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap.  It is easy to make & economical, too.  I love a bargain!!!




 The Recipe

Now that you have assembled all the needed ingredients here is the recipe:

Homemade Laundry Soap
1/3 bar Fels Naptha or other type of soap, as listed above
½ cup washing soda
½ cup borax powder 
~You will also need a small bucket, about 2 gallon size~

Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan.  Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts.  Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved.  Remove from heat.  Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket.   Now add your soap mixture and stir.  Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir.  Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel.  You use ½ cup per load.

**A few things to note about the soap** 

~The finished soap will not be a solid gel.  It will be more of a watery gel that has been accurately described as an "egg noodle soup" look.

~The soap is a low-suds soap.  So if you don’t see suds, that is ok.  Suds are not what does the cleaning, it is the ingredients in the soap.




I'm Sue Murphy.....& I am.... 

Confectionately  Yours

No comments:

Post a Comment