Thursday, June 27, 2013

How We Look to Others


I was at a potluck dinner and amidst the fried chicken, hot dishes, cold salads, and desserts was a small dish of something grayish, sort of gravy-like, and completely unidentifiable.  At the end of the evening as I was helping clean up, there amongst the empty platters was that lone little bowl completely untouched. 

It was probably was just as nutritiousl as anything else on the table, but no one wanted to test it out when there were so many other choices.  For all I know, I may have missed out on the best dish there because of its appearance.

As I reflected on this, I wondered.....in the “potluck of life” as I meet the people God brings my way, does my faith and profession in Jesus look appealing to others?  Do I proclaim a life in Christ that looks like fried chicken to a starving soul….or have I allowed bitterness, anxieties, circumstances to steal my joy, so that to those I am called to share the Bread of Life with, look at me and see something grayish and unappealing-like the dish I just mentioned?

I want the joy of Christ to reflect through me.  I want to rise above my circumstances, rest in Jesus for help and comfort, and share the glorious salvation message that Jesus saved me from an eternity in Hell for a new life here on earth for a time, and forever with him in Glory.

Here is a recipe that looks as good as it tastes-it is an easy Springtime Mandarin Orange Cake.  It starts with a box mix of yellow cake, but with a few additions, and a Cool Whip, crushed pineapple, and instant pudding frosting-you have a light pretty cake that won’t make it home from any potluck.



MANDARIN ORANGE CAKE


(A fresh light Spring cake)

1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1 (11-oz.) can mandarin oranges with juice
4 eggs
1/4 c. vegetable oil

Combine cake mix, oranges, eggs and oil. Beat 2 minutes at highest speed of mixer.  Reduce speed to low and beat one minute. Pour into 3 greased and floured round 8" cake pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove to cake rack and cool completely.

Frosting

1 (12-oz.) ctn. Cool Whip, thawed
1 (5-oz.) pkg. instant vanilla pudding
1 (20-oz.) c. crushed pineapple, drained reserving juice
Combine Cool Whip, pineapple, and pudding. Let stand for 5 minutes, then add enough pineapple juice to make frosting spreadable. Frost between layers, then top and sides of cake. Chill at least 2 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator.

Note: I love to serve this light, delicious cake in the Springtime. Garnish it with piped swirls of whipped cream, well drained mandarin oranges and fresh mint for a beautiful presentation.

                                         Confectionately  Yours,

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment