Monday, July 1, 2013

Getting It All Together


I made a list of 6 things that were burdening me & determined that THIS was the week they were going to be done.  I was focused!!

Do you find that you spend more time dreading tasks than it takes to actually accomplish them??  I sure do!!  Those things on my must do list weigh heavily on me. When finally accomplished, I feel so relieved!!

But none so much as a recent incident that I confess I did NOT respond to with grace & dignity. 

You see, my college attending son turned 21 & his military dependent ID needed updating to continue our benefits.  My retired military husband was in charge of these tasks & his demise put them squarely in my lap.  Dealing with the military system is surely NOT in my comfort zone.

However, one must do what one must do!!  Andrew obtained a letter from the college stating he is a full time student.  I had done my homework calling in advance to see what the military folks required to facilitate his getting a new ID.

He also needed new glasses, so I combined an eye check appointment with the ID renewal.  Also on my to-do list that day was gathering some party supplies for a friend & the finishing touches on a cheesecake for her son Gregory.  We would be celebrating his 18th birthday that same evening at a cook out.

After the eye check, Andrew & I headed out to the AFB.  As we got out of the car, I realized I had left his birth certificate in the book I was reading….the book I left on the counter at the eye doctors.

Back at the store, his glasses were ready, & we headed back to the base.  We were in the parking lot when I realized I had left home without the letter from the college. I was NOT a happy girl!

It was impossible to complete the task without that letter, so we headed home.  I sent Andrew on to our friend’s home with the party supplies, then we met & headed to the base for a third time.

I just had to laugh when I handed over the paperwork to the airman assisting it.  As I listed each required item I was handing her, she stated, “Wow, you really have it all together.”  If she only knew!! 

That frustrating day ended with a great time celebrating Gregory’s 18th birthday.  I’m sharing the cheesecake recipe we all enjoyed that night.  Gregory likes his plain, but you can top it with fresh sweetened strawberries & whipped cream on the side if you wish.

CHEESECAKE
Graham cracker crust
1-3/4 c. graham cracker crumbs 
1 T. brown sugar
6 T. butter, melted
1 tsp. cinnamon

Melt butter and mix graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Press into a
9" springform pan.

Cheesecake filling
3 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened to room temp
1 c. sour cream
4 eggs
1 c. sugar 
3 tsp. vanilla
1 T. cornstarch 

Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar and beat, scrape down sides and beat
again. Beat in sour cream, and cornstarch.

Add eggs, one at a time, until incorporated,
then vanilla. Pour into crust. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 1 hour or until center
is set. 

Remove from oven and cool on rack until lukewarm. Chill for several hours or
freeze for easy removal from pan to a serving plate.

If frozen, run a sharp slender knife between the crust and bottom of pan, loosening the entire cake. Support cheesecake with a spatula and slide it onto a serving plate. If the cake is not frozen, it's best to leave it on the bottom of the springform pan and place it on the serving
platter.  Yield: 12 servings from 9" pan, 8-9 cakes from the mini cheesecake pans 4-5" in diameter. 
Cupcake size in foil liners may also made, but the oven temp should be 275-300° for 12 to 15 minutes. The higher temp will cause them to rise quickly, then the centers will fall. 

Extra crust ingredients my be required to make the 25 cupcake size desserts yielded from this
recipe.
Note: Don't be intimidated by cheesecakes. They are easy to make and can be frozen
2-3 months. You do need to have a springform pan. It's a small expense for a big
reward!! I have several of the mini pans, bake and freeze 2-3 varieties of cheesecake,
then wow my guests with an assortment of bite size delectables.


No comments:

Post a Comment