Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I Hate Change...Unless it is on My Terms


Have you ever noticed much we humans hate change, unless it is on our terms?

2010 was a huge year of changes for me…all of which were mostly out of my control.  I was learning to live without my husband of 31 years, I sold my home in IN, bought a new one in OH, had the IN buyers back out on the sale, downsized my 32 years of accumulating worldly possessions, moved to Ohio, started a new job, moved my son to Ohio away from the friends and familiarity he had known for most of his growing up years, started a complete kitchen remodel that is still not done, and yes, after 9 months of supporting 2 households, finally sold the IN one.

There was one constant in my ever changing, and often terrifying new life- God’s presence and unfailing love.

The word compassion in Isaiah 54:10 is the Hebrew word racham, which means “to soothe; to cherish; to love deeply like parents; to be compassionate, be tender…This verb usually refers to a strong love which is rooted in some kind of natural bond,

How would you like to memorize half of a psalm in the next sixty seconds?  Want to give it a try?  Turn to Psalm 136.  After each sentence, there is an echo, “His love endures forever.”  Just say that sentence twenty-six times and you’ve quoted half of the Psalm! The Psalmist begins by reminding us of how God created the universe and all it contains. Then he continues by reminiscing how God led the captive Israelites out of Egypt, across the parted Red Sea, through the arid desert, and into the lush Promised Land conquering enemies at every turn.  And through it all, one thing remained the same – “His love endures forever!”

There may be times in our lives when we cry, “Where are you God?  Don’t you care what is happening to me?  I can’t hear You.  I can’t see Your hand working in my life.”  But be assured of this.  Even when we can’t sense God’s presence, He is always there.  Always.  And through it all, one thing remains the same – “His love endures forever!”

One of the ways I show love and caring to others is to bake for them.  Today I share the ultimate Lemon Bar.  I bake these for my pastor & his wife when I want to encourage them.  

I'm Sue Murphy...& I am Confectionately Yours.

TRIPLE LAYERED LEMON
BARS
Crust
1/2 c. butter 1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. confectioners sugar 1 c. all purpose flour

Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla, then flour. Press dough into 8 x 8 pan.
Refrigerate crust 30 minutes. Prick crust with fork; then bake 30 minutes in a
preheated 325° oven for 20-30 minutes or until brown.

Cream cheese filling

1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1-1/2 c. powdered sugar 
1 tsp. lemon extract
Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add egg and lemon extract. Spread evenly
over crust. Top with lemon curd.

Lemon curd

4 egg yolks
1 T. cornstarch
3/4 c. water
3/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. lemon peel, grated
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
2 T. butter, softened

Blend egg yolks with cornstarch. Place on low heat and whisk in water and lemon
juice. Increase heat to med-low and cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens
enough to cover the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Add lemon peel and butter; cool for 10 minutes. Spread lemon curd evenly over cream cheese layer. 

Bake 30-40 minutes or until edges begin to turn light brown. Cool to room temp. Chill 1 hour before cutting. Dust top with confectioners sugar.

Note: These are the ultimate lemon bar. When recipes call for eggs, use large eggs
unless otherwise noted. Large eggs are the standard in baking. Also 1 large egg
usually = 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons), so you can successfully half a recipe that calls for 1 egg by beating the egg, measuring and removing half



No comments:

Post a Comment