Monday, July 22, 2013

"Co-incidental" Meetings


Years ago, my husband was stationed in Alaska.  It was winter & snowing.  I was walking my dog in when a woman walking HER dog came toward me.  As she I approached, I had a sudden recognition.  “Margaret?” I exclaimed.  “Sue?” she replied.

Turns out HER husband had just been transferred to Eielson AFB near Fairbanks.  We had met each other in Omaha, NE.  I could hardly believe our paths had crossed in the frozen North!!  In fact, she had moved in next door to me & I had been so involved in my own stuff, I had barely noticed I had new neighbors.

It was the first time this had happened to me in my life-this running into people so far away from our first meeting.  But it was not to be the last.

When stationed in the Dayton area, I was invited to coffee at a new friend’s home only to be introduced to someone I had known in Bossier City, LA!  She recognized me first & squealed with delight over our renewed friendship. 

Keep in mind, these were the days before Facebook!! I see these incidents as Divine appointments, orchestrated by a loving Father her knows that the friendships we make here can last for Eternity. 

My latest “coincidence” involved an impromptu visit to my church.  I was inquiring about some needed kitchen duties during VBS.  Sitting in the church office, I saw a man enter, along with 3 kids.  His wife brought up the rear.  I was surprised to recognize her immediately, then her husband as friends we knew when my husband was stationed at the Pentagon in the DC area.

John & Marie had answered God’s call to Australia as missionaries.  It had been 15 years since I had seen them until that ‘chance’ meeting in the church office.

Their schedule allowed for a 2 day stay in the area & I promptly invited to my home.  Such impulsivity could have been cause for alarm, but at least for this time, I was pretty much ready for company. 

I do a quick inspection of my freezer weekly, so I knew what was available food-wise.  I had frozen some  queso dip leftover from my son’s birthday party the month prior.  I decided to go Tex-Mex using cooked rotisserie chickens as the basis for chicken tacos.  Adding salad fixings rounded out the meal.  I also had frozen cookie dough on hand for dessert.


The time visiting was wonderful & I am grateful that the Lord renewed this friendship.  Here is the recipe for that Cheesy Taco Dip that was the inspiration for our Tex-Mex dinner.

Cheesy Taco Dip

1  (10 oz.)can  Ro-tel diced tomatoes & green chilies
1 lb. Velvetta Cheese
1 can chili with beans (optional)

Heat Ro-tel in microwave with the cheese, stirring every minute until melted.  Add chili, if desired.  Place in crock pot to keep warm.  Serve with tortilla chips.

Confectionately  Yours,

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment