Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Banana Bread

Hi all,

I love quick breads!!  They can be dessert, a pick-me-up with coffee or tea, or a great snack. They freeze well for 2-3 months, so when the urge to bake hits, I take advantage.  I am never sorry I have an abundance of goodies to tuck into a lunch box or provide something for an unexpected event.

I like to put peanut butter ON my banana bread.  (If you like PB & banana sandwiches, you will love PB on banana bread!!)

This recipe came to me from a friend years ago.  The buttermilk makes a huge difference to the flavor.  I freeze leftover buttermilk in recipe ready sizes.  A true Southerner always has buttermilk in the fridge, but I know that for many, it is not an 'on-hand' ingredient.

The coconut called for was not in the original recipe, but I added it one day on a whim, and I never make it without now.

BANANA BREAD

1/2 c. vegetable oil
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 c. sugar  
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 eggs
3 bananas, very ripe, mashed
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. coconut
walnuts or pecans, optional

Cream oil, sugar, vanilla, and eggs. Stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix in buttermilk, bananas, nuts, and coconut. Spray loaf pans with non stick spray.

Fill 2/3 full and bake at 350° for 45-60 minutes until loaf tests done. If using mini loaf pans, cooking time will be approximately 25 minutes. Batter will make 7 mini loaves or 2 regular loaves. Insert toothpick into middle of loaf. If it comes out clean, bread is done. This is a very moist loaf that freezes well.

Note: Got some overripe bananas and no time to bake right now? Put peeled bananas in Ziploc bags and freeze. I put the amount needed for recipe in individual bags, label and date. Bananas can be thawed in microwave for this recipe. Yes, it will be a mushy mess, but it works well for this recipe! Keep in freezer 3-4 months.

'Confectionately' Yours,

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment