Monday, June 6, 2011

Texas Tortilla

Hi all....I shared today on WEEC how I overcame a bitter attitude over living in Texas in spite of the many blessings I experienced there.  This recipe is one of them.  :-)


TEXAS TORTILLA SOUP

2 T. margarine
1 tsp. each:ground cumin, chili powder, & lemon pepper
non stick cooking spray
1 large onion, chopped
1-2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 c. flour
5 c. rich chicken broth
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots, finely chopped oil for frying
6 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 lb. boned, diced chicken (partially frozen dices easier)
8 corn tortillas
Sour cream & grated cheddar for topping-optional

Prepare all vegetables in advance. Dice chicken last to prevent cross contamination

from meat. In a large soup pot, melt margarine and add chicken. Spray liberally with

nonstick spray. Cook, stirring often until chicken is no longer pink. Add onion, celery,

carrots, and garlic. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add a little broth if needed to keep from

sticking. Stir in cumin,chili powder, and lemon pepper. Add tomatoes and 4 cups of

the broth. Mix remaining broth and flour together, then stir into the rest of the

ingredients. Simmer 20-30 minutes until soup has thickened and vegetables are

tender. Using a pizza wheel, cut tortillas into thin strips. Fry in oil until golden brown.  Watch carefully, these cook pretty fast.
To serve-Top soup with tortillas, grated cheese and a dollop of sour cream. Makes 2 quarts. Corn chips are a quick substitute for the fried tortillas.

Note: After trying this soup in a restaurant, I requested and was refused the recipe.

My understanding waiter (I left a big tip) gave me the ingredients. After a little bit of tinkering, I came up with this soup, which I think is even better than the one I remember. It's a great way to get your veges and I make it for my friend Leah almost every time we get together. It's her favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment