Monday, August 19, 2013

Buckeyes


My friend Charisse is a Buckeye by birth.  She was born in Ohio.  I am Buckeye by choice, but we met when I lived in Indiana.  Charisse has a Buckeye tree in her Indiana back yard & one Fall gave me several.  I mistakenly put them in an airtight container & all but one molded.  Yuk!!

One lone buckeye survived.  I keep it on a mantle in the bedroom.  When I see that single buckeye, I am reminded of my friend, & I pray for her.


Folklore tells us
the nut is considered a good luck charm, relieves pain of arthritis and rheumatism, & resembles the eye of the buck deer.  Hence, the name.

Charrise was friend to me before my husband died, & stuck with me through the initial grieving & the ongoing life that must continue on.  We share our struggles & blessings. Friends make such a difference in this world!!!  Especially if they love the Lord, too.
When we have Him in common, we can encourage one another, help one another, & especially pray for one another.

I’m so grateful for my Buckeye friends!!  I’d like to share my recipe today for what else?  Buckeyes!!

Those delicious little peanut butter balls dipped in just enough chocolate so that they resemble our state symbol.  My research tells me the actual buckeye can be a little poisonous if not treated with heat, so I guess I will stick with the candy version.


I start by making a peanut butter fudge & allowing it to firm up.  I then scoop the smooth fudge into little balls & freeze them-then comes the dipping part.  I generally use the chocolate flavored confectionery coating found in the baking aisle of the grocery store.

MARSHMALLOW CREAM
FUDGE
1-1/2 sticks butter
3 c. sugar 
2/3 c. evaporated milk
1 (7-oz.) jar marshmallow cream 
1 tsp. vanilla
1 (12-oz.) pkg. peanut butter chips

Chocolate candy coating (found in the baking section of grocery store)

Mix butter, sugar, and evaporated milk in a heavy 2-1/2 qt. pan. Bring to a boil on
medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in
marshmallow cream, then peanut butter chips, vanilla and. Pour into buttered dish to cool.
Recipe make be doubled. 

When completely cool, scoop out teaspoonfuls & roll into balls.  Freeze on parchment covered cookie sheet.  Melt the chocolate coating according to package directions.  Dip the peanut butter balls into the chocolate with a fork and place back onto the parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  Refrigerate until firm, then remove to little paper cups or a covered container. 

Keep refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment