Monday, August 5, 2013

Pleasant Words

Words of Grace


When I was growing up, my mother cooked dinner every night.  At the end of the meal, my father always addressed her and said, “I enjoyed my supper.” 

It was a phrase that all of us kids echoed, but it wasn’t something required of us.  It was simply learning good manners by example. Oddly enough, I found myself saying these same words as an adult when I was visiting my parent’s home.  It just felt natural to do that.

My husband of 31 years, had a phrase that he repeated every day we were together.  He decided early on in our marriage that he couldn’t read my mind, so he would say to me, “Is there anything I can do for you?”

These few words gave me such comfort.  It told me he cared about the load I carried running our household, and he was willing to share that load, but preferred to do what I felt needed to be done.  It meant he cared about my needs, whether it be a cup of tea, or a load of laundry started.

Those words made me feel nurtured then.  Now that I am widowed, they leave a pleasant memory-Sweetness to the soul and health to the body like the scriptures say.

I often find myself repeating those words to my children and my friends, especially when they are struggling.  I guess just knowing someone would like to lighten the load is comforting.

No food is more comforting than homemade bread.  Since I have shared my roll recipe on a previous segment, I will gladly add the honey butter recipe that takes it over the top.  I made the mistake of taking this combo to work so often that showing up without them leads to mutiny by the staff. 

Start with ½ c. softened butter.  Add 3 T. honey and mix in.  Drizzle a little extra honey on the top. Serve at room temp.

Go to May 2012 for the Bread Machine Roll recipe




Confectionately  Yours,

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment