Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Cookie Cutter Christians


I have an affinity for cookie cutters & boy, I hit the mother lode recently at a local thrift store!!

My friend, Tina, had mentioned a new store had opened, & that the prices were really low.  She also asked me if I was I was looking for cookie cutters.  I wasn’t really NEEDING any mind you, but honestly, after she said this, I had a hard time remaining in my seat for the rest of our very pleasant visit!!

  I was delighted to add several to my collection that I didn’t have, & at bargain prices, too.  I love a good deal.

As I was washing my new found treasures, I noted that several of them were similar in shape, but different, too.  There must have been 5 or 6 pumpkins & at least that many hearts.  Many could be considered vintage, perhaps made in the 50’s or 60’s.

I was reminded that as Christians, we are like that hodge-podge of cookie cutters.  All made differently, but with a similar purpose.  We look to Jesus as the ultimate image to liken ourselves, but He brings our individual personalities, gifts, & talents to the table to glorify Him.

It is unlikely that this gray haired Southern lady could witness as effectively to certain folks as could the pony tailed biker dude that installed my kitchen sink.  During his time in my home, I learned that he was gloriously saved from a life of alcoholism & drug abuse, & now ministers to those struggling & searching for God’s truth.

Nor could he speak as effectively to a group of folks to whom God has placed in my life to encourage. 

But we all can point to the One who sees us & accepts us as we are, grateful for salvation in Christ, & loving Him enough to want to become what He would have us be.


Do we want to be cookie cutter Christians, performing a list of do’s & don’ts merely for the sake of appearing righteous?  Man sees the outside, but God looks inward to our thoughts & motives.

I’m sharing today a Cut-Out Oatmeal Cookie recipe.  I will be trying out this recipe using my recently acquired treasures.  




Cut-Out Oatmeal Cookies
Makes about 20 cookies
A small amount of cinnamon and a bit of extra salt brings out the wholesome flavor of the oats. These cookies taste great plain or with the cinnamon icing.

Beat together until light and fluffy:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar

Add and beat to incorporate:
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Add and mix thoroughly:
- 1 1/2 cups oats, ground fine in a food processor
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder


Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Roll dough out on a lightly floured counter to 1/4-inch thickness and cut with your favorite 
cookie cutters, then transfer cookies onto cookie sheets that have been lined with parchment paper or silicone liners. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned around the edges. Let cookies cool slightly on cookie sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. 

Cinnamon Frosting

To decorate, melt 4 tablespoons unsalted butter in microwave-safe bowl, then stir in 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar, 3 tablespoons milk, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Frost cookies.  


Note:  This frosting will set up after it dries.  I used a leaf cookie cutter & simply outlined the cookie.  The pretty brown color of the cookie showed through.  Without the frosting, this cookie is not super sweet & is good on own.  It is firm & would work as a substitute for gingerbread when this color of cookie is desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment