Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Setting the Table


I have a favorite do-ahead task when I entertain. It motivates me, reduces my stress, and increases my enjoyment.  When I am planning a special party, I set my table a few days in advance.

I love to decorate seasonally, coordinating my napkins, and table settings with interesting centerpieces.  I mix and match with abandon.  

After the table is to my liking, I find that the enjoyment of the dinner party increases for me.  I visit the decorated room adding a little of this or that to the settings, or simply anticipating the arrival of my company. 

I always ask my guests of there are any food allergies or dietary requirements I need to consider before planning the meal.  It just makes sense to prepare what they can have.

A friend asked me why I went to such elaborate lengths.  “It is part of the celebration for me. I love having the table set early because every time I walk past it, I think of the people who will sit in those chairs. I think of their favorite dishes and look forward to preparing each one. I guess you could say that I enjoy the party long before it begins.”

That is the idea behind praise.  We can praise God for what He will do long before He does it. We can prepare a victory table before the battle begins, knowing that the battle belongs to our God. And don’t you know that a pre-battle victory party irritates the fire out of the enemy? I love that!

It is said that in Africa a tree produces the “taste berry,” a unique fruit that literally alters taste buds so that everything that’s eaten after eating the berry tastes good and sweet. Praise is the “taste berry” of the Christian’s life. When our hearts are filled with praise, when we choose to praise God, no matter what, stress fades into the background of a battle won before it begins.  Life is sweet!!. Party on!!


Here is a “berry” good pie recipe that can be made in advance, frozen, and reheated for your next company if you need a make ahead dessert.

BERRY-APPLE PIE
pastry for double-crust pie
 2 c. blackberries, fresh or frozen

1 c. sugar
 2 c. tart, crisp apples, peeled and sliced

4 tsp. quick cooking tapioca
2 T. butter, cut up

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Prepare pastry and divide in half. Roll out one half into a 12" circle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to a 9" pie pan. 

In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, tapioca, and cinnamon. Add the blackberries and apples Toss gently until coated.

Spoon filling into the pastry lined pie plate. Dot with butter and top with the other half of the crust. Moisten the edge of the pastry lightly and press together. Crimp into a
decorative edge or use the back of a fork to press a design into the edge. Cover edge with foil to prevent over browning. Cut slits into the top crust to allow steam to
escape. 

Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 20-25 minutes more or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings

Note: When displaying desserts, I place appropriate sized sturdy boxes at different heights and then cover them with a matching or coordinated tablecloth. For weddings,

I have covered round boxes with tile adhesive, then stuck on mirror pieces as tiles.

Confectionately  Yours,

Sue


No comments:

Post a Comment