Monday, September 23, 2013

The Prayer Closet


When word of my husband’s death reached my friend Vicki, she came.  She hadn’t seen me in quite some time.  Our lives had diverged into different directions.  I was surprised & touched to see her that day.

Since my move from Indiana to Ohio, Vicki has come to me for rest & respite from time to time.  I’ve noticed a pattern in her trips.  She managed to come on or near the anniversary date of Greg’s home-going.  I asked her if this was intentional…& she gave me a knowing smile. She was widowed with 4 small children years ago & knows the pain of those anniversary dates.

However, her visits WERE for her personal rest also.  Vicki has a life that revolves around caring for others.  A wheelchair bound husband she adores, kids & grandkids living in her home, church involvement, plus a full-time job leave her with little time for self-care. 

On one of our visits, she seemed near exhaustion, both physically & spiritually.  She 
commented on the absolute quiet we were enjoying.  This was not an option for her at home.  She told me that sometimes she sits in her car after work just so she can pray & read the bible without interruption.

Due to her husband needs, their master bedroom door had to be removed for his w/c access & replaced with a curtain.  Given this situation, she had no place to go to shut out the distractions & noise of those living within her household.  Apparently, beloved grandbabies do not understand Grandma needs a break. J


As Vicki & I talked, the idea of using her sizable Master bedroom closet as a literal prayer closet began to emerge. Of course, it was packed with the STUFF we all seem to collect, & rarely find the time to go through, BUT her desperate need for peace & quiet outweighed the desire to hang onto things.

Sometime later, Vicki has reported major de-cluttering, & a place to shut the door for refreshment.  The Lord has provided!!

My own prayer closet is a small sunroom that I have claimed for my own.  The Lord is sought after every day in that little room. I feast there on the Bread of Life & receive Living Water.

I encourage you to find your own prayer closet.  This is truly the “Recipe for living.”

                                         Confectionately  Yours,

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment